Skip to content

The Relentless Pursuit of Excellence

Beyond 80%: Embracing the +1% ers That Defines Excellence

As we navigate through the calendar of our ambitious content plan, this week’s theme ‘Goal Seeking, Strategy, and the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence‘ stands as a pivotal chapter in our year-long narrative. After exploring the realms of ideation, creativity, and team building in previous weeks, we now turn our focus to the quintessence of achieving true greatness. This theme isn’t just a concept; it’s a clarion call to challenge the conventional, to look beyond the comfortable complacency of the ‘good enough.’ Set against the backdrop of our ongoing journey, where each month is dedicated to unravelling a specific facet of our strategic narrative, this week’s discourse serves as a crucial intersection of our past learnings and future aspirations. It’s here that we delve into the nuances of what it really takes to not just envision goals but to chase them with a strategy that’s underpinned by an unwavering commitment to excellence.

Introduction: The Myth of ‘Good Enough’

In a world where the Pareto Principle, or the 80/20 rule, is often hailed as a guideline for efficiency, we’re encouraged to believe that 80% effort is often ‘good enough.’ But what about the remaining 20%? This blog post challenges the comfort of the Pareto mindset and delves into the critical +1% ers that separates the good from the truly great, the champions from the contenders.

Scott Maxworthy, CEO, Max Media and Entertainment with 10 x world champion and Olympic Gold medal winner Jessica Fox at the NSWIS 2023 Awards
Scott Maxworthy, CEO of Max Media and Entertainment (& writer of this blog) with Jessica Fox – 38 World Cup gold medals, nine World Championship titles, four Olympic medals from three Games and Australian Athlete of the Year,

The Fallacy of ‘Good Enough’

The notion that 80% effort yields 80% results may sound efficient, but it overlooks a fundamental truth: excellence lies in the final 20%, in the meticulous, often painstaking effort that turns a vision into a masterpiece. This is not a call to perfectionism, but a recognition that in the pursuit of greatness, ‘good enough’ is the antithesis of excellence.

The 1% Difference: Where Magic Happens

It’s in the last 1% of effort where true differentiation lies. This is the realm of relentless refinement, of unwavering dedication, where champions are made. It’s the extra practice, the additional revision, the continued innovation – these are the efforts that transform the ordinary into the extraordinary.

Lessons from the Elite: The NSWIS Awards Night

The NSW Institute of Sport Awards Night was a vivid reminder of this. Athletes who dedicate their lives to their sport know that the difference between a podium finish and an also-ran is found in the relentless pursuit of that extra 1%. They train not just until they get it right, but until they can’t get it wrong.

Challenging the Status Quo

In business and life, settling for 80% is a dangerous comfort. It’s time to challenge this status quo. The journey towards excellence is arduous, laden with challenges, and requires more than just doing ‘enough.’ It demands a commitment to the extra effort, to the finer details that most overlook.

Strategy: The Blueprint of Excellence

Strategy is more than a plan; it’s a commitment to excellence in execution. It’s a roadmap that considers not just the primary goals but the nuanced steps that lead to their achievement. A well-crafted strategy acknowledges the importance of the 1% – the nuances that turn a plan into a triumph.

Conclusion: Embracing the Relentless Pursuit

The relentless pursuit of excellence is a choice. It’s a decision to go beyond the comfortable and venture into the realm of the extraordinary. It’s a mindset that looks beyond the 80% and strives for the pinnacle of achievement. As we reflect on our week, let’s carry with us the determination to embrace that crucial 1%, for it is there that greatness is truly born.


This blog post aims to be a powerful statement against complacency and a rallying cry for striving towards the zenith of excellence. It challenges readers to reconsider their approach to goals and strategies, advocating for a mindset that seeks more than just ‘good enough.’

author avatar
Scott Maxworthy Director
Experienced, “hands-on”, results-driven, digitally savvy marketing leader specialising in customer experience, data-driven marketing strategy, content production and social media. A deep understanding of consumer behaviour, data analytics & marketing technology with over 20 years of managing people, projects, budgets, to business objectives.